Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Nov 4 Columbus MS


First lock of the day - Wilkins Lock

Remains after locks and dams for the Tenn-Tom


Boats at Smithville Marina



We departed Smithville MS at 7:30 Wed morning on another beautiful sunny day and after 3 locks and 42 miles we pulled into a nice Marina at Columbus, MS. ( pop 25000+) We ran into a lot of debris during the trip but luckily nothing too big.

On these rivers they use bollards instead of dropping you a line like we are used to on the Mississippi. Bollards are similar to floating barrels, smaller at the top to loop your line around from a cleat on your boat. 2 of the boats we have met have seen snakes when locking through because there is space for them to lay on top or around the bollards. The last experience happened as she was removing her line from a bollard and a 3 ½ foot cottonmouth had fallen from the lock wall above on to her bollard. I’m not sure how many couples we have met but this seems like a pretty high percentage and you can be assured I am looking everything.

The showers on shore were clean and close so I opted to use it to wash my hair and shower. It is much easier than on the boat turning the water on and off to conserve and also nice to have elbow room. Everything was fine until I was in the shower and realized I had forgotten the soap. Good thing I had shampoo with me.

We had an enjoyable dinner with Linda and Dave off Perfect Timing. They are going home tomorrow for a month and we’re hoping we see them again soon in Florida.

No comments:

Post a Comment